Please join us on Saturday, October 14, 2017 for the official launch of the Fulbright NCAC International Relations Discussion Group event series—“A Fulbright Journey around the World”—in which we will discuss the Evolving Geopolitics of Latin America and the Caribbean:
- What effect have NAFTA, CAFTA-DR, and U.S. bilateral free trade agreements with Chile, Peru, and Colombia had on the social, economic, and political development of the region?
- Is the tendency toward left-wing, economically populist political parties the result of presistently high economic inequality and low social mobility throughout the region?
- Why has this region failed to develop strong social, economic, and political institutions—as evidenced by the presence of corruption, drug trafficking, emigration, and armed conflict throughout the region? Is this the result of the region's history of European colonialism and its close geographic proximity to the United States?
- Historically, the World Bank, IMF, and Inter-American Development Bank have been the primary sources of outside funding for large-scale infrastructure projects throughout the region. To what extent has the introduction of Chinese foreign direct investment shifted the geopolitics of the region?
- Are Mercosur, Andean Community, Organization of American States, and the Union of South American Nations the precursors to an ambitious state-building effort in South America—similar to the creation of the European Union & Euro in Europe?
The goal is to create a fun, social atmosphere while discussing issues of domestic and international importance, so we will be serving plenty of food and drinks to help facilitate the discussion.
Mario Hosario (Colombia, Fulbright 2017) has generously offered to host this discussion group session at his apartment. He has a lovely backyard and will grill up some delicious South American "asado" (i.e., South American BBQ) for discussion participants. Vegetarian and halal options will be served as well.
RSVP is required.
** All ticket sales cover the purchase of food and drinks for this event. **